Okay, I know this probably looks kind of weird. It's not often that you see hot noodles and chicken paired with a cold salad. It probably sounds even weirder than it looks. And I know you're thinking that the ingredient list seems really long. But basically, you're just gonna have to trust me on this one. Have I ever steered you wrong before?
My kids are huge fans of both peanut butter noodles and cucumbers, so when I spotted this recipe I immediately had them in mind. Not surprisingly, they absolutely loved this meal, and so did Joe and I. There's something about the silkiness of the noodles paired with the cool, refreshing salad and crunchy peanuts that is just amazing. All of the ingredients work together in perfect balance. We loved, loved, loved this meal.
Spicy Chicken Peanut Noodles with Cucumber Sambal
slightly adapted from Tasty Kitchen
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces dry spaghetti
1/4 cup dry-roasted peanuts, chopped, for garnish
For the marinade:
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon sweet red chili sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
For the peanut sauce:
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons sweet red chili sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or minced
For the cucumber sambal:
1 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the spaghetti.
2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Toss with chicken and grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from grill (or grill pan), and tent with foil while preparing the other ingredients.
3. Prepare the cucumber sambal by tossing together the sambal ingredients. Set aside till serving.
4. Cook the pasta according to the package; drain and return to the pot. Meanwhile, prepare peanut sauce. Heat broth, peanut butter, brown sugar, vinegar, lime juice, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, and ginger in a saucepan over medium heat to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in salt, then pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat.
5. Top each serving of pasta with a chicken breast and cucumber sambal. Garnish with peanuts.